First I can't believe it's already the new year and 6 days into it at that. Time goes by way too fast and I wish it would slow down.
I have been thinking about a few things lately and thought instead of actually asking the questions (because I already know the answers) I'll just blog them to get them out of my head.
Is it okay to duct tape a paci to a babies mouth?
Sometimes a tired mama can dream though right? With all of our kids they have taken to the paci. There are very good things about that like that experts say it may reduce the chance of SIDS, when they are crying you have something to shut...make them stop. On the other hand if they can't put the paci in their own mouths at night, if they wake up, it can be a major pain. The past few nights since Asher has been getting better (for those of you who aren't on Facebook he had RSV) he has been waking up multiple times (like 5-6) and just needs his paci put back in. Really? I have to get out of bed, go to his room, put his paci back in, walk back to my room and get back into bed just for a paci. This is a case of the "cons" of a paci.
Is it okay to leave sleeping children home to pick up another from school?
Now this answer may be hard for some people because chances of anything happening are very slim and isn't it more important for your child to nap? Well, I think so, but I still can't take the chance of leaving the babies at home. Every school day I get the kids dressed and in the car to drop off Aine at school. We live to close to school to be bused. That means we are close (like 3-4 blocks). That means I go through all that work for a very short trip. Oh, but wait - I do that twice a day on every school day. But what is hardest is in the afternoon I have to wake up Ava and Asher from their naps to go pick Aine up. Now tell me - how hard would it be for you to wake up this sleeping child:
Is it illegal to leave your kids at home for 10 min? Not sure, but I don't think I want to find out. So I guess until I hear that it's not illegal I will continue to wake my sleepers up from their naps.
Is it okay to fall in love with a "fixture" of your house?
I really like our old home. It has lots of character (aka work to be done) and it's our home where all of our children have spent their lives (short as that may be). There are a few things to be desired in this old house. One of those was remedied on our vacation last week when Chad took care of it. We have a nook/room/whatever you want to call it in our kitchen that we used to have the dogs food bin, water bowl, one dog dish and our garbage with our microwave on top of it (the garbage is in a wooden bin that opens up, just in case you were wondering). So since we don't have any of the dogs anymore we decided to repurpose that storage. This is now what it is:
We have (or had I should say) no storage in our house. Common to most old homes there isn't much storage anywhere - small closets, small kitchen. This was honestly a dream come true to an anal, organized mama like me. I honestly think this is now my favorite part of the house. The girls love it to. A new hiding spot. What could be more fun that that.
Well, those were a few of the questions that have been floating around in my head. It's nice to get it out. Although I'm sure something else will take it's place very soon.....
I laughed when I read this. I have both wanted to use duct tape (for many purposes) on children, and also leave them to nap. However, it IS illegal to leave them at home. The duct tape is probably left up the discretion of the particular judge. Strangely, a lot of child safety issues are left up to someone else's opinion. I think that's weird. Too much gray area.
ReplyDelete